Phone: +371 656 22201, +371 656 23939, Baznicas Street 2a, Kraslava, email@example.com
The church is one of the most characteristic samples of Baroque style in Latgale. The first church was built in 1580-1590 by Miķelis de Brunavs, and it was wooden. The current stone church was constructed from 1755 to 1767, built according to the scetches of the Italian architect Antonio Parako.
The altarpiece “St. Ludwig Leaves for Crusade” represents the artistic culmination of the interior. It is one of the most valuable art findings of the last years. The masterpiece gives a wonderful lighting effect. There are two portraits of the 2nd half of the 18th century made by the Italian painter Filipo Castaldi: one is the portrait of Count Constantine Ludwig Plater and the second - Countess Augusta Plater (born as Oginska), who were the founders of the church.
The church features a Baroque pulpit, seven confessionals (middle of the 18th century and later), paintings in the side altars, among the most notable the following must be mentioned – St.Joseph, St.Antonio, St.Vincent, St.Juris, St.Stanislav and others.
Talking about Kraslava Catholic Church and its significance for the region, one should pay attention to the martyr St.Donat’s relics that attract numerous pilgrims making Krāslava town the second most significant pilgrimage place in Latgale after Aglona Catholic basilica. In 1790 thanks to the meditation of Pope Pia VI the holiday of St.Donat with the remission of people’s sins was proclaimed that it is celebrated on the first Sunday after St.Peter’s Day.
The opportunuty to apply for organic music concerts, where copositions of J.S. Bach, G.F. Handel, D.D. Shostakovich and R.A. Schumann are played. Telephone for applying for a concert: +371 28846157.
Working hours: on request. From May to September the church is opened 6:30 – 18:30.